– You know you’re a redneck when you just assume “DG” stands for Dollar General. I was talking to a friend about getting our families together when she told me they couldn’t do Tuesdays, because her husband goes to DG that night. I was like, “You need to come up with a better excuse than your hubby needing to go to Dollar General.” She was so confused! Disciple Group. That’s what our church calls our small groups. He has DISCIPLE GROUP on Tuesday nights.
– I read constantly for fun, but Anderson doesn’t really enjoy reading unless it’s for learning. Like a coursebook or something boring like that. 🙂 But a few times I’ve really enjoyed a book and wanted him to read it too. So we somehow figured out that he can listen to the audiobook while I read the real book, and we can talk about it! Last month I started reading The Grave Robber by Mark Batterson and immediately knew I wanted him to “read” it too. But after listening to it for a few days he told me he didn’t really like it. I was like, “HOW are you not enjoying this awesome book? I mean, it’s based on seven miracles from the Bible. Do you even love Jesus?” He couldn’t even tell me what he didn’t like about the book. It just wasn’t what he expected. Then the next day he figured it out. He was listening to the discs in the wrong order, so the book didn’t make sense. Well, there ya go.
– I ran into David Garrard at Publix. He lives in a neighborhood that’s close to ours, so we see him around sometimes. And Anderson is border-line obsessed with him. He always talks to him like they’re friends while I hide behind something. I was kind of bummed that Anderson wasn’t at the store with me, so I thought about trying to sneak a picture of him. But I couldn’t do it. Instead, every time we crossed paths I tried to act like I wasn’t staring into his cart, but I knew Anderson would want all the details. (It was like one of those “Celebrities Are Just Like Us” articles. Look! He buys his own Gatorade!)
– Every time we need a new AC filter Anderson says if he ever gets a tattoo it will be our filter size. Why are those things so hard to remember? I’m just going to leave this here for reference: 18x20x1.
– Kingston’s class at church learned about mercy a few weeks ago. They played a game, and the losing team had to clean the bathrooms. His team lost. But then he told us in the most excited voice, “But we’re learning about mercy, so we didn’t have to do it!!!!” When I was a kid, my dad taught me and my brother that mercy is not getting what we DO deserve. And grace is getting what we DON’T deserve. It’s a simple explanation, but I’ve never forgotten it! And the more I learn about God’s great love for me, the more I’m humbled by the mercy and grace he’s poured out on my life.
– We stumbled upon the cutest little coffee/breakfast place at the beach. I love when that happens! It’s called The Ugly Cupcake Muffinry & Cafe and is located in a beautiful old house right across from the beach. It’s a great place to grab a coffee and relax! Check it out, beach friends! Some of the pics below are from there.
– KINDERGARTEN! Y’all God has shown us so much favor with Kingston’s school, and I want to write a whole post about it. But for now, you need to know about the awesome guy (Andre) who dances in front of the school every morning while blaring Kidz Bop from from his iPhone. He is the sweetest and goes out of his way to say something encouraging to each kid as they walk in the front door. They love him! And I can sense that he knows they don’t all come from the best environment and makes it his mission to start their days off with a positive experience. Every school should do this! But I think this mentality comes from the top, and we happen to have the best principal in town. She doesn’t hide in her office even though I know she has a million things to do everyday. She’s all over the place – greeting the kids in the mornings, and she even walked K to his class when he was feeling nervous one day. We are blessed!
– A friend asked Kingston what he’s into right now. Soccer? Football? He said, “Well… I like donuts!”
– Do y’all know about Dr. Pimple Popper? She’s a dermatologist who also happens to be a YouTube star with almost 2 million followers! You’re probably going to think I’m SO GROSS for this, but I love her and watch her videos all the time. Anderson thinks it’s disgusting, but there’s just something satisfying about watching someone have a cyst removed. Ha! Okay, it is gross. But I love it! And I’ve watched so many of her procedures that I’m convinced I could pretend to be a dermatologist and get away with it. At least for a few days! You need to check her out. Here’s one of my favorite videos to get you started. You’re welcome!
– Like many of you, I’ve been kinda bummed about the whole election season and was really sad the day after. No matter what the outcome had been I think I would have felt that way. Just exhausted from it all and had sort of a knot in my stomach all day. (It wasn’t even really about the candidates but more about what they represent to me.) Anyway, so I texted a couple of friends about being bummed out. One of them reminded me that God is in control, and we have to walk by faith. The other one offered to go with me to get some medical marijuana. I think it’s important to have both types of people in your life!
– We were discussing lunch plans when Anderson suggested a burrito place. Kingston said, “We can’t eat there. I don’t like their logo.” That’s my boy!
Not So Good:
– Ya know, I couldn’t decide what to put here this time. Even the “not-so-good” stuff was pretty good in the big scheme of things. Maybe it’s because it Thanksgiving week, and I have the warm fuzzies or something. 🙂 So that’s that, friends. We have so much to be thankful for!
Two things – I totally understand about the AC Filters – when Steven and I first married, the place we lived had filters that were 12X20X1. The only way he could remember was that my birthday is 12/20 – OR the only way he could remember my birthday is it was the size of our Filters. Either way works! They are a different size now so neither one of us can remember. Also, Thomas and Tori love The Ugly Cupcake Muffinry place. There is a Groupon right now for Monday through Friday here: https://www.groupon.com/deals/the-ugly-cupcake-muffinry-cafe
Ha!! I’m SURE it was your birthday that helped him remember the filter. 🙂 And thank you so much for the Groupon! That’s such a good deal.