“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
Well, that was FUN!!! I realized over the last few weeks that I want sharing God’s love with others, even when it’s not convenient, to become such a part of my lifestyle that I don’t even have to think about it. Not just something I do leading up to Valentine’s Day every year. I got so much joy out of doing little things for people when they didn’t expect it! And I realized that sometimes just one small act of kindness can make someone feel loved and appreciated. When I started this whole “Share the Love” idea I had planned for all of us to come together today and talk about some of the ways we’d showed God’s love to others over the last two weeks. Not to say, “Hey! Look what we did!” But to encourage other people to get out there and live outside their own bubble and be a little more selfless. But over the last couple of days I started feeling like that wasn’t what I wanted to share with you after-all. Instead I want to tell you about some of the things people have done for me and my family these last two weeks! I didn’t expect to be on the receiving end. And it showed me once again (as if I need to be reminded) just how blessed I am. Not blessed by material things, although if I’m being honest, we are. But more importantly we’re blessed with people. People who love us and encourage us and take time to “Share the Love” with us all the time.
– One of our FAVORITE babysitters watched Kingston while I went to a baby shower then wouldn’t let me pay her.
– This sounds really weird. And I guess it is, but if you knew my husband you’d totally understand. Some of our friends went to an all-you-can-eat buffet one night and asked us to go with them. Sadly (for Anderson) we’d already eaten. So on their way home they dropped off some shrimp and steak for Anderson. Those are his two favorite food groups. The man was happier that night that he was on Christmas morning.
– Several friends sent me Starbucks gift-cards! In cards and even one in an email. They know my weakness. 🙂
– One of Kingston’s little buddies gave him a new toy “just because”, and he hasn’t put it down since.
– A friend’s kid is learning to write and send letters in school. So he chose to write us a thank you letter for a gift we gave him two years ago. Ha! And he drew us a cute picture too. There’s a back-story there, so we laughed about this one a lot!
– I got beautiful flowers from Anderson and a sweet friend.
– Kingston and I went shopping with Grandma, and she paid. She always does.
(These are just a few things that came to mind when I sat down to write this post. I know there are many others.)
I’m so grateful that many of the people surrounding me in this life choose to “Share the Love” all the time. They live out I John 3:18: Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. It’s not hard for me to say the words “I love you.” But it is hard to live those words sometimes. I’m the queen of good intentions and am usually pretty aware of the needs of others around me. But I don’t always act on my intentions. Life gets in the way. I get busy. But I’m thankful that I’m surrounded with people who don’t get too busy for me. And they make me want to live more intentionally! That’s what “Share the Love” has taught me. And it’s been SO MUCH FUN!
***I do have to tell you one thing we did:. Kingston and I made cookies for the neighbors one day. And they were good. Really good. So good that we ate them all. So we had to have a do over. Hey, sometimes it’s not easy to share the love… or the cookies!***
When I posted about this on February 1st I told you that we were going to do a link-up today, so you can share some of the ways you’ve encouraged the people in your life too! So link up with us below. I’m dying to read your posts! If you don’t have a blog, you can link to your Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook. And speaking of social media, if you haven’t been following along with us check out #ShareTheLove2013 on Instagram and Twitter. You’ll be encouraged by all pics and stories!